When finding out that the factory radio in your own car can not meet all your needs any more, some car owner tried to upgrade with many up-to-date features in the factory radio, however, it turns out that many popular features can’t be supported by the factory radio. With disappointing results, they still want to get better performance and more features in their car stereos to get the most convenience and enjoyment in their vehicle. In that case, an idea may come to their minds that is it better to upgrade the factory radio with expansion products or replace it with a new aftermarket head unit? The following are about the advantages and disadvantages for each selection for you as a reference if you have the trouble in making the decision to upgrade or replace the car radio.
Upgrade your factory radio with expansion products
Upgrading your factory radio with expansion products means that you can get more features and better performance in your factory radio by adding some products, so you don’t need to take place of your current radio or remove the factory radio off the dashboard to install new components. For the new components, you can easily find them from many online vendors. The following are the advantages and disadvantages of upgrading your factory radio with expansion products.
Strengths of upgrading your factory radio with expansion products
- You can add the features you want and supported by your car radio without replacing your existing radio.
- You can select the components to meet your needs according to your preference, for example, the amplifiers.
- Ensure your vehicle’s warranty without taking risks.
- It costs less to upgrade your factory radio than replace it with a new one.
Weaknesses of upgrading your factory radio with expansion products
- If you are going to upgrade your factory amplifiers and receivers, the factory speakers and subwoofers may still needed to be replaced.
- Since not every expansion product can be supported by the factory radio, you may have limited choices to upgrade your factory radio for more features.
Replacing your factory radio with a new aftermarket car stereo
Replacing your factory radio requires you to remove your existing radio out of the dashboard and install a new one into it. By replacing, you can not only customize your radio but also get all-in-one performance in a new car stereo, such as 3D GPS navigation system, DVD and CD player, bluetooth technology, FM/AM radio, wifi, USB and SD card connection, etc. Although there are many advantages in replacing a factory radio, some shortcomings can’t be denied, either. The strengths and weaknesses of the replacing a factory radio are as follows.
Strengths of replacing your factory radio with a new aftermarket car stereo
- All-in-one performance is available for you in one car stereo.
- You can customize the new car stereo according to your needs.
- Mainstream features can be got in a new car stereo.
Weaknesses of replacing your factory radio with a new aftermarket car stereo
- Generally speaking, it may cost you the most to replace your factory radio with a new head unit.
- Your vehicle’s factory warranty may not be available any more.
- The installation may bother you if you don’t the experience.
- You can’t take it with you if you sell your car.
Above all, there are both merits and demerits to upgrade your factory radio or replace it with a new car stereo. You can refer to them and make a comparison and then decide which one to take when you are going to get more features in your car radio. No matter either of them is chosen by you, you can find your ideal products online. For your reference, I’d like to share a popular and professional car stereo website with you: http://www.seicane.com/. Best wishes for you and good luck!